Welcome to my kitchen, fellow food enthusiasts! Today, I am thrilled to share with you a delightful recipe that brings together the nostalgia of roasting marshmallows around a campfire with the indulgence of freshly baked cookies. Meet the heavenly S’MORES COOKIE BARS! If you’ve ever craved the sweet, gooey goodness of s’mores but didn’t have access to a bonfire, these bars will be your new favorite treat. Bursting with chocolate, marshmallows, and that irresistible graham cracker crunch, these bars are sure to evoke feelings of warmth and joy with every bite.
For Whom and Why They’re Great
These S’MORES COOKIE BARS are the perfect dessert for various occasions. Whether you’re hosting a summer barbecue, planning a cozy indoor gathering, or simply craving a comforting homemade treat, these bars will not disappoint. This recipe is a fantastic option for busy home bakers who want to whip up something special without the hassle of individual s’more assembly. It’s also a great way to introduce kids to the joys of baking, as they can actively participate in the process, from layering the graham crackers to sprinkling the marshmallows.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s ensure you have the necessary kitchen equipment on hand:
- 13×9-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer with paddle attachment
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Boost the S’mores Flavor: For a more pronounced s’mores flavor, consider adding a sprinkle of crushed graham crackers on top of the bars just before baking. This will add an extra touch of that classic graham cracker taste.
- Upgrade Your Chocolate: While the recipe calls for Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars, feel free to experiment with different chocolate varieties, such as dark chocolate or flavored chocolates like mint or caramel. The possibilities are endless!
- Gluten-Free Option: If you or your loved ones follow a gluten-free diet, swap the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend for equally delicious gluten-free S’mores Cookie Bars.
If, by some miracle, you have any S’mores Cookie Bars left after your initial serving, you’ll want to store them properly to maintain their freshness. Simply place the bars in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. To prolong their shelf life, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to a week. For longer storage, consider freezing the bars, individually wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a freezer-safe container, for up to three months.
Food and Drink Pairings
The S’mores Cookie Bars are already a delightful treat on their own, but if you’re looking to enhance the experience further, here are some fantastic food and drink pairings:
- Ice Cream: Serve a warm S’mores Cookie Bar with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an indulgent dessert experience. The contrast of temperatures and textures will be pure bliss.
- Milk: The classic combination of cookies and milk never disappoints. Enjoy your S’mores Cookie Bar with a cold glass of milk, and let nostalgia take over.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Can I use marshmallow fluff instead of mini marshmallows?
A: While marshmallow fluff might be tempting, it may not hold up well during baking. Mini marshmallows work best in this recipe, as they melt slightly and become gooey, giving the bars that signature s’mores texture.
Q: Can I use store-bought graham cracker crumbs instead of full graham crackers?
A: For the authentic s’mores experience, it’s best to use full, unbroken graham crackers. The crunch and structure they provide make a significant difference in the final product.
Q: Can I add nuts to the recipe?
A: Absolutely! If you’re a fan of nuts, you can add a cup of chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, to the cookie dough for a delightful crunch.
- 7-8 graham crackers (full, unbroken rectangles)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 regular-sized (1.55oz) Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars, broken into square
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the 13x9-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the sides.
Cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of graham crackers, breaking them into sections as needed to fit properly.
In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the room-temperature butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar until smooth and fluffy.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the mixture. Mix until well combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, salt, and baking soda.
Gradually add the flour mixture, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows to the butter mixture. Mix until the ingredients are just combined, taking care not to overmix the dough.
Evenly distribute the cookie dough on top of the graham crackers in the prepared pan, pressing it down flat. If desired, top with additional mini marshmallows for an extra gooey touch.
Bake the bars at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes or until they turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the cookie dough browns faster than the center bakes, cover the pan with foil during the baking process.
Once out of the oven, immediately place the Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar pieces on top of the warm bars. The residual heat will gently melt the chocolate, adding an irresistible creaminess to the bars.
Allow the bars to cool for 20-30 minutes before lifting them out of the pan. This cooling period will help the chocolate set slightly, making it easier to cut and serve. Please note that the chocolate bars may remain soft and melty at room temperature, adding to the lusciousness of these treats.