Good Ole Fashion Mac and Cheese is a beloved comfort food that’s creamy, cheesy, and satisfying. It’s the kind of dish that brings back warm childhood memories. Let’s explore this classic recipe and learn how to make it from scratch.
Who Will Love This Recipe?
Good Ole Fashion Mac and Cheese is a crowd-pleaser and appeals to a wide range of palates. Here are some groups who will particularly enjoy this dish:
- Comfort Food Lovers: If you have a soft spot for comforting and hearty dishes, mac and cheese is a go-to choice.
- Cheese Enthusiasts: The combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese in this recipe creates a rich and gooey cheese sauce that’s pure indulgence.
- Families: Mac and cheese is a kid-friendly favorite and a hit with adults, making it perfect for family dinners.
- Home Cooks: This recipe is simple to make and allows home cooks to prepare a classic dish from scratch.
What Sets It Apart?
What sets this Good Ole Fashion Mac and Cheese apart from others is its classic and timeless approach to the dish. Here’s what makes it special:
- Creamy Cheese Sauce: The cheese sauce is made with a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, along with evaporated milk, creating a creamy and velvety texture.
- Simple Ingredients: This recipe uses straightforward and readily available ingredients, making it accessible for home cooks.
- Balanced Seasoning: A touch of garlic salt and paprika add depth and flavor to the dish without overwhelming the cheese.
- Traditional Baking: Baking the mac and cheese in the oven ensures that it has that irresistible crispy, golden crust on top.
Tips for a Perfect Dish
Here are some helpful tips to ensure your Good Ole Fashion Mac and Cheese turns out perfectly:
- Properly Cook the Macaroni: Be sure to cook the macaroni to al dente to avoid it becoming mushy during baking.
- Use a Mix of Cheeses: The combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese creates a delightful cheese sauce. Feel free to experiment with different cheese varieties for a unique twist.
- Customize Your Seasoning: Adjust the amount of garlic salt and paprika to suit your taste preferences.
- Choose the Right Baking Dish: Using a 9×13 inch baking pan allows for even baking and a beautiful golden crust.
- **Let It Rest:** Allow the mac and cheese to rest for a few minutes after baking to set before serving.
3 cups dry elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons salted butter
2 (370 mL/12 oz) cans evaporated milk
1/3 cup milk of choice
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon paprika
Step 1: Cook the Macaroni
Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to the boiling water, then add the dry elbow macaroni. Cook until the pasta reaches an al dente texture, following the package instructions. Once cooked, drain the macaroni and return it to the pot.
Step 2: Add Butter and Mix
While the macaroni is still hot, add the salted butter to the pot and stir until the butter is completely melted. Set the pot aside.
Step 3: Prepare the Cheese Sauce Mixture
In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk of your choice, large eggs, and garlic salt. Mix these ingredients together until they are fully combined.
Step 4: Cheese Layering
In a separate bowl, mix together the shredded cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Step 5: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan to prevent sticking.
Step 6: Layer the Mac and Cheese
Begin layering your mac and cheese. Start with one-third of the cooked macaroni in the bottom of the baking pan. Follow with one-third of the cheese mixture. Repeat this layering process.
Step 7: Pour the Milk Mixture
After layering, pour the prepared milk mixture evenly over the macaroni and cheese layers.
Step 8: Sprinkle with Paprika
Sprinkle the paprika evenly over the top of the dish to add a touch of color and flavor.
Step 9: Bake in the Oven
Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.