Welcome to my kitchen, fellow food enthusiasts! Today, I have an exciting recipe that will tantalize your taste buds and bring a touch of Mexican flair to your table – Mexican Cornbread! This delightful cornbread is a fusion of traditional Southern comfort and zesty Mexican spices, resulting in a dish that’s both familiar and pleasantly surprising. It’s perfect for those who appreciate a little heat in their food while savoring the comforting goodness of classic cornbread. So, whether you’re hosting a gathering, planning a family meal, or simply craving a delicious treat, this Mexican Cornbread recipe is sure to impress.
Why Mexican Cornbread is Great
What sets this Mexican Cornbread apart is its harmonious blend of flavors and textures. The sweet and savory combination of cornmeal, cheddar cheese, and creamed corn creates a moist and tender cornbread with a subtle sweetness. The diced jalapeños add a gentle kick without overpowering the dish, making it appealing to a wide range of palates. Whether you’re a fan of Tex-Mex cuisine or simply looking to add a new twist to your cornbread recipe, this one won’t disappoint!
Moreover, this recipe is incredibly versatile. It can serve as a delightful side dish for a Mexican-inspired feast, a tasty accompaniment to soups and stews, or even as a standalone snack. It’s easy to make, requires only a few pantry staples, and doesn’t demand advanced culinary skills, making it an ideal choice for novice cooks and seasoned chefs alike.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s make sure you have all the necessary kitchen equipment:
- Seasoned cast-iron skillet (or an 8-inch round cake pan)
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon for mixing
- Cutting board and knife for chopping onions and jalapeños
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Oven mitts or potholders
Now that we’re all set, let’s get cooking!
Tips and Recipe Variations
- For a spicier kick, you can leave the jalapeño seeds in or even add some crushed red pepper flakes to the batter.
- If you prefer a milder version, you can omit the jalapeños altogether or replace them with bell peppers for a colorful twist.
- Add a handful of cooked and crumbled bacon to the batter for a delightful smoky flavor.
- For a more authentic Mexican touch, serve the cornbread with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro on top.
How to Store Leftovers
If you happen to have any leftovers (though it’s rare because this cornbread is usually a hit!), you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. To extend its shelf life, refrigerate the cornbread for up to 5 days. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply reheat the slices in the microwave or oven until warm.
Food and Drink Pairings
Mexican Cornbread pairs exceptionally well with a variety of dishes and beverages. Here are a few suggestions:
- Serve it alongside a steaming bowl of chili or vegetable soup for a hearty and comforting meal.
- Enjoy it with a side of fresh guacamole or salsa for a delightful appetizer or snack.
- Pair it with a crisp salad for a light lunch or dinner option.
- For a complete Tex-Mex feast, serve it with enchiladas, tacos, or fajitas.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Can I use regular cornmeal instead of self-rising cornmeal mix?
A: Absolutely! If you don’t have self-rising cornmeal mix on hand, you can make a simple substitution. Just use 1.5 cups of regular cornmeal and add 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients.
Q: Can I make this cornbread in advance for a party?
A: Yes, you can! Mexican Cornbread holds up well and can be made a day in advance. Once it has cooled completely, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in a cool, dry place.
Q: Can I freeze leftover cornbread?
A: Absolutely! Mexican Cornbread freezes beautifully. Just wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and then place them in an airtight freezer-safe container. They will keep for up to 3 months. Thaw the cornbread slices in the refrigerator overnight or reheat them directly in the oven or microwave.
- 1.5 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1.5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño, seeds removed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canned creamed corn
Place a seasoned cast-iron skillet (or 8-inch round cake pan) in the oven and preheat to 350°F (175°C).
In a large bowl, mix together the self-rising cornmeal mix, granulated sugar, salt, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and diced jalapeño.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, canned creamed corn, and vegetable oil.
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
Pour a tablespoon of vegetable oil into the hot skillet and swirl it to cover the bottom evenly.
Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and spread it out evenly.
Bake the cornbread for 30-40 minutes or until it's golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Carefully remove the skillet from the oven using oven mitts or potholders.
Allow the cornbread to cool for a few minutes before turning it out onto a plate.
Cut into slices and serve warm.