The Best Banana Cake Ever
4 large very ripe bananas
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 cups self-raising flour sifted
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 CUP = 250ml
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C
2. Leave bananas in the peel and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
3. While the bananas are roasting, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes, until browned. Set aside to cool.
4. Lightly grease and flour a 25 x 13cm loaf pan. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
5. Scrape the bananas out of the peel into a blender and pulse until pureed. (Use folk if you don’t have a blender)You should have about 2 cups of puree. Pour the pureed bananas into the butter mixture and beat until well combined. Add the yogurt and mix well. The mixture may look curdled. This is normal.
6. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a whisk. Add to banana mixture and mix just until the flour is incorporated, taking care not to overwork the batter.
7. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake at 180 degrees C for 45 to 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few dry crumbs.
8. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.
9. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.